Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another recipe: Golden Mushroom Chicken


Today we have another crockpot recipe. Don't get the idea that I cook exclusively with the crock--only when I'm being lazy busy. I call this recipe Golden Mushroom Chicken, but when I got it from my sister (thanks Bek), it didn't really have a name. I had to give it one because I generally get asked "what's for dinner" at least five times a day, and it got really old saying, "That one chicken thing with the golden mushroom soup that Aunt Bekah makes. You like it, remember?" Golden Mushroom Chicken is a lot shorter to say. :)

Golden Mushroom Chicken

2-3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 oz. cream cheese
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
1 C chicken broth (I use 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of chicken base or bouillon)
3 C rice

Around lunch time, put the chicken, cream cheese, soup, salad dressing mix and broth into the crock pot. Again, I usually put the chicken in frozen unless I'm getting a late start. If it's 2:00 or later, I thaw it in the microwave and cut it up a little so that it will cook faster. Put the crock on high for 4 hours or so and then shred up the chicken with a fork.

Once the sauce is ready, cook the rice, and serve the chicken sauce over the rice. If you have a rice steamer with a timer, you can even put the rice in the steamer at the same time you put the other stuff in the crock. Just set it so that the rice will be freshly cooked at the time you want to eat.

This one is popular with everyone except Mr. Macamoni Cheese. He'll eat it, but not without some argument. Of course, he only really loves three things besides chocolate in all its forms: mac and cheese, peakabutter sandwiches and mashed potatoes. Unless you count condiments: one of his favorite tricks is to take a hot dog or corn dog and put a whole pile of ketchup and honey mustard and ranch on his plate. Then, while you think he's eating lunch, all he's really doing is dipping the hot dog in the mess on his plate and licking it off. He likes it even better if he manages to eat some ketchup with a spoon. Yummy!

1 comments:

Tom and Audrie on 12:00 PM said...

I make the same thing (never tried it in the crock pot though) but I use Cream of Chicken soup instead. It is also good on pasta noodles.

 

Live and Learn Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez