About a week and a half ago, a really amazing thing happened here: we paid off our house! That's right, it's really, truly ours now. Honestly, it's kind of hard to believe. Norm and I both grew up in financially difficult circumstances, so to have such a beautiful house, and to own it free and clear, seems miraculous.
I knew I would be excited about this, but I was kind of unprepared for how emotional it would be for me. It's actually been kind of a spiritual experience which really surprised me because I really try not to let money take too high a priority in my life. I mean, having enough to live on is important, but my family and my faith are the most important things in life. Things in life are so intertwined though. Being financially responsible is one way that we follow the prophets, so there is a religious side to this. Providing a house for our family is also important, and it's so amazing to feel like we have the security of knowing that whatever happens, we'll still have a place to live.
And of course, this isn't just any house. It's our home. This is where we've raised our kids for the past seven years. We've been through some tough times here, especially the year that I had two miscarriages. I struggled through ten weeks of bed rest in this house and then had the joy of bringing Isaac and Tabitha home from the hospital to this house. They've never known any other home. Here I have taught my kids to read and add and sew and cook. Here we have laughed together, cried together, prayed together, screamed at each other and forgiven each other. For me, this house embodies these and many other memories, and now it belongs to us! No wonder I feel emotional about it. :)
Saturday, October 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How did you pay it off so quick?? What was your trick???
Yes...how did that happen!? I mean I know a home in TX vs. a home in CA is a huge dollar amount...but still! Anyway...congratulations! That is amazing and awesome!
Post a Comment