Sunday, August 09, 2009
If it looks like a cookie...
4:34 PM
Posted by
Lauralyn
...and tastes like a cookie, it must be a cookie. Today I attempted my first gluten free baking project without a mix. I used the recipe from Easy Gluten Free Baking, and it truly was easy. The cookies taste good--although I can tell a difference from regular chocolate chip cookies. It wasn't a bad difference though, and I have pretty sensitive taste buds. The kids gobbled them up, and I think Norm liked them. Cookies aren't his very favorite type of treat, but it's nice for him to be able to have them sometimes. I was pretty impressed with this recipe and pretty happy about how these tasted--especially after reading about gluten free baking for a while. Felicity helped with this, and I think she could easily make them by herself another time.
If anyone out there is gluten free and interested, I found rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch (which is the same as tapioca flour or yucca flour) and potato starch (which is not the same as potato flour) much cheaper at an Asian food market than at the grocery store or at a health food store. It was kind of intimidating going that first time because I didn't know if I'd be able to find what I wanted or if everything would be in a different language, but it wasn't that hard. I'll definitely be going back there for more gluten free ingredients.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is so awesome that they came out so good & that it wasn't a big hassle! Score 1 for you!! Maybe this could count as 2. :-)
What is the calorie content, and fiber? Just wondering how it would work with a diabetic diet. Is it any healthier than regular cookies?
Lourie,
Unfortunately, this would not be a good cookie for a diabetic diet. It's essentially exactly the same as any regular chocolate chip cookie except for a replacement for the flour. It uses a combination of rice flour, sweet rice flour and cornstarch to replace the plain flour.
While having to do the celiac diet is, in some ways, similar to being diabetic, it's not the same in a couple of ways. First, the only thing to be wary of for Norm is gluten which is only found in wheat, barley and rye. He can have anything else without a problem, so it's different that a diabetic diet in that way since for diabetes you need to watch sugar, but you also need to watch all the simple carbs. The other thing that's different is that Norm cannot tolerate even teeny, tiny amounts of gluten. His body can react if there is a crumb of bread that gets on his food. So, even though he only has one thing to avoid, it kind of stinks because he has to avoid it 100% of the time.
That's probably way more than you wanted to know, so the short answer is, most of my recipes will not be ones you'd want to adopt for your DH. Sorry.
Post a Comment